Last January I told you about my word for the year: risk.
As a risk-averse person, that was not a word I wanted to think about, let alone practice.
It’s been an interesting, risk-filled year.
Last year, I set out to accomplish some goals that I knew would be a challenge.
Yup, there was risk involved.
I didn’t accomplish each goal, but I did hit some big ones.
- Finish writing and publish a book: Choosing a Way Out
- Tell others about my story
- Write and teach a Bible study
- Share what I’ve learned on a podcast (interview to be released soon)
- Headline as a guest on a national call-in show with Rob Jackson
- Write a press kit
- Tent-camp in bear country (this was a biggie—talk about facing fears)
- Became a certified ghostwriter (writer-for-hire)
- Start coaching—individually and with my husband
- Set more healthy boundaries in several relationships
Along the way, I’ve learned quite a bit about myself. That’s the way it goes when we choose to step out into something new.
Remember what Jim Rohn said,
If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.
This was an extraordinary year. And I’m thrilled it was.
- God is bigger than I ever believed Him to be
- Done is better than perfect
- Resistance is strong but it doesn’t defeat
- Dave and I could survive some strong relationship tests
- Those tests reveal how much healing we’ve experienced
- The boulder in the path is the way it is sometimes
- Fear is a mind game, not reality
- Taking a calculated risk can be fun
Did you read that last one?
Taking a calculated risk can be fun.
I can’t believe I said that or even believe it. But I do. Especially after this last year. However, there is much more for me to learn.
As I look at 2018,
I’m praying about my word for the year
I’m praying for opportunities to serve you better
I’m praying for goals that will stretch me more
What has your year been like? Did you choose a word for the year last year? If not, would you consider choosing a word for this year? I’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below or send me an email.
Happy New Year!
Live your legacy today,